since you work in D7, as I do, you already have namespaces (in the form
of units), so this was never an issue, even if you wanted to have two
versions of the same code built-in. as to why, well, consider a database

managent tool that has to open both 2.x and 3.x databases, and the only
tool to structure your code and isolate interface from implementation is
a crappy .H file. these people (c programmers) live in wasteland, I
really admire them for the constructive way they use header files,
include files, defines,  make files, configure files and what not,and
still manage to write code that is write-once, compile everywhere. this
is something not easily achieved, given the tools they have to work
with. otoh, I live in delphi land from day 1, and I *know* what they are
missing...