If you renamed file1.db to file1.bak, opened file1.bak, vacuum into
file1.db, close file1.bak, you have a backup pre-vacuum (just in case...)
and 'streamlines' the process some-what.
Obviously, you'd have to rename the file back again if the vacuum failed
(out of disk space, etc)

Just a thought,,,,

Chris