If the source database is changed while the Online Backup API is running, it
returns to the beginning of the database and starts again.  I have a couple of
questions which might be useful, especially if the database is changed only by
the same connection as it performing the backup.

There's a chunk of headers at the beginning of the database which changes
frequently.  Ignoring that chunk for a moment ... two questions:

1) Suppose the first page of the source database which is modified is  after
the point that the backup has reached.  Is it necessary to restart ?  Could
this be detected somehow ?

2) Suppose the first page of the source database which is modified is before
the point that the backup has reached.  Could the backup not return just to
that point rather than to the very beginning ?

As for the chunk of headers at the very beginning of the database, this should
not change size.  It could be updated at the end.

I'm perfectly happy to be told that these optimizations cannot be performed for
reasons I don't understand.

Simon.