When I open a database in read-only mode (?mode=ro), I observe that the WAL and
SHM temporary files are created anyway. Is there any possibility to prevent the
creation of these files? Aren't they useless?

Even worse (using sqlite3.exe version 3.27.1):

.open test.db
pragma journal_mode=wal;
create table a (b integer);
insert into a (1);
.quit

This creates database with WAL and SHM files; those files are correctly removed
when exiting.

.open --readonly test.db
select * from a;       <--- creates WAL and SHM -- why?
.quit

Now, WAL and SHM files aren't deleted anymore.

Proposal: Neither WAL nor SHM should be created at all when opening a WAL-mode
database in read-only mode.