> On 3 Apr 2019, at 20:04, Joshua Thomas Wise <joshuathomasw...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [Here, I must thank Dr. Hipp, with whom I had a brief email exchange
>> severals moons ago, who convinced me that the IEEE 754 encoding was not
>> an ideal storage format for databases]
>
> I’m curious, what were the reasons behind Dr. Hipp’s opinion on this?

At the time of SQLite4, I wrote to him asking why he had dismissed IEEE
754 as a storage format in favor of a custom encoding. His answer was
that he wanted comparisons to be performed using memcmp(), which IEEE
754 does not allow.

There may have been other reasons (complexity, range, ...), but that one
stuck with me and prompted me to start searching for order-preserving
encodings.

Life.