"Dinsmore, Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Big Question: What evidence will I see from SQLite that a database
> file is corrupt? Will it fail to open and return an error to that
> effect? Or, will it (possibly) open the database and then fail somewhere
> down the line when it hits the corrupted area of the database?

The latter.

> I have never experienced any SQLite database corruption. Does anyone
> have a feel for how common database corruption is in the real world?

Database corruption is uncommon.  The usual causes are

  (1) Running with synchronous=OFF
  (2) Running on a network filesystem with broken file locking
  (3) Using a customized OS layer (in place of the standard
      os_unix.c or os_win.c) that doesn't work quite right.
  (4) Manually deleting or renaming hot journals