Have you tried dumping the database ("sqlite3 places.sqlite .dump") and then
searching for some known data in the resulting SQL file?

----- Original Message -----
From: bitwyse <bitw...@le-maquis.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 18:33:29
Subject: [sqlite] Hidden data

Hello

Many of you may already know that FireFox (and other Mozilla family
navigators like SeaMonkey) store their bookmarks in an Sqlite file
("places.sqlite").
Bookmarks may include
 - the name of the page
 - the URL
 - chosen labels
 - keywords
 - the description

The last 2 are extracted from the page header.

You _can_ edit the description - some programmers just use the title and
others the first line(s) of the text (I've even seen about half of the
page!) - but it's not much use - you can't search in it.
So I don't regret that it is no longer visible nor editable in the
latest versions of the bookmark manager. However the data REMAINS in the
file, although it isn't displayed in a basic viewer (the FireFox Sqlite
manager extension or DB sqlite viewer).
There is a field "bookmarkProperties/description" in the
"moz_anno_attributes" table but I can't find the corresponding data.

Could it be hidden in a Blob?
What program (command?) would diplay it and allow deleting it?
(VACUUMing doesn't remove it.)

(I have got rid of it by exporting the bookmarks to an HTML file,
deleting all the <dd> tag lines and then re-importing it - but that's
laborious and I would like to be able to do it in one operation.)

Regards
Christophe

--
bitwyse   [PGP KeyID 0x18EB38C4]