On 11 Aug 2019, at 11:51pm, Thomas Kurz <sqlite.2...@t-net.ruhr> wrote:

> I don't see a huge problem here. Does the database file have a version number
> indicating which version the file has been created with? If so, newer SQLite
> libraries could easily emulate the old-style behavior by just checking this
> version number.

SQLite database files are compatible from version 3.0.0 introduced in 2004.
This includes everything except for tables using the WITHOUT ROWID feature,
introduced in 2013.

> Alternatively, one could introduce a pragma statement, say PRAGMA
> emulation=ver, that could default to 3.30 (or whatever) now and which doesn't
> change at all

This would break backward compatibility.  It is necessary to be sure that
database files made with current versions of SQLite can be opened with old
versions back to 2013.

The things you're thinking of are not bad, they're good.  But people have
suggested them before and we've always found problems with them.