> This is documented behaviour. Use single quotes for literal strings.
> SQLite will assume you meant 'literlal' if your write "literal" and
> there is no column of that name. There is no need to quote names in
> SQLite unless the name contains non-alpha characters.

Thanks, yes. I was quoting the names because they _did_ contain
non-alpha characters. The actual example was that I had a table

    CREATE TABLE primitives_Commit(
        id TEXT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
        oid,
        author,
        "author.date"
    );

and another table with a column "author.user", and had mistakenly tried
to SELECT things FROM primitives_Commit WHERE "author.user" IS NOT NULL.

The reason for the funny names is that the table schema was dynamically
generated by an abstraction layer. I have since rewritten that layer
such that this is no longer necessary, and gotten rid of double quotes
entirely, which seems to be for the best. :-)