Thanks for all this info.

No, I have not made a single change to the amalgamation that has been
provided by sqlite.org.  The most I've done is read, line by line, through
the first meg or so of source code, as well as setup an environment where I
specifically can build sqlite3.dll for fun.  The thought was entirely for
theoretical practices, and only came up when I noticed a few threads
suggesting that they're making changes to the code (Be it to test theory or
to enact live in their libraries), then my thoughts wandered to their code
vs future SQLite code enhancements or bug fixes, and how getting the two
different sets of code to work with each other going forward.