On 4 Oct 2019, at 12:17pm, Fredrik Larsen <frel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A copy-on-write IO-path where data is split into static and dynamic parts
> (think snapshots for storage) would be very helpful for our project.

SQLite abstracts changes-only tracking at the transaction level, and provides
it as the session extension:

<https://www.sqlite.org/sessionintro.html>

You can save your changeset BLOB however you want and do anything you want to
it including apply it to different databases on different computers.  A BLOB is
just a sequence of octets.  Handle it however you want.

Providing the same feature at VFS level would be far more difficult because
different databases with the same data can be laid out differently in different
files on different computers.