>But this makes me think of the upcoming virtual column feature. If you
>define a virtual table column whose value is equal to
>EXPENSIVE_FUNCTION(), do multiple references to that column in a query
>cause multiple calls to the function, or is it computed only once per
>row?

In the present case this will not help since expensive_function is dependent on
a paramter and a table column ...

However, at present, a virtual column in a table will be calculated whenever it
is used AND/OR a record is stored to the table containing the column,
notwithstanding that the column in not stored.  For a stored virtual column it
will only be calculated when a record is stored.

lot about anticipated traffic volume.