On Wednesday, 13 November, 2019 17:18, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:

>On Nov 13, 2019, at 11:31 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

>> Don't substring searches help you more than sorted lists ?

>There’s a relevant question for this list: how do we do this efficiently?
>The naive solution involves a table scan.

>Enable FTS on that column?

>Manual extraction into indexed lookup tables?

>Give up on names and use something else?  (SSN, phone number, DOB…)

Most places hereabouts (Alberta Canada) appear to have given up on names and
use the phone number instead -- especially if they try once by name and it
doesn't work.  That means you only have to remember which phone number you gave
them.  Useless pricks having no need of a phone number usually get (911)
911-9111 ...

lot about anticipated traffic volume.