Hi Richard

Yes, a call to pragma synchronous = normal has resolved this problem. Speed is back to normal. Thank you very much.

regards

Peter

On 03/12/2005, at 12:06 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

ozemail (pcferrett) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
oops, spoke too soon.  I now have two builds - one built using 10.2
(PB) and the other built using 10.4 (Xcode).  I reboot into system
10.2, both builds work as expected.  However, when booting into
system 10.4, both builds are sluggish (not just a little bit slow -
like 20 seconds to do a job that take 1-2 seconds under 10.2).  The
same thing happens for a  fresh install of 10.4 on a different
external drive.

Running from the shell also shows significant differences between the
systems.  The following script, which creates a table and does 100
inserts, takes 4-5 times longer to run in system 10.4 than in system
10.2.

any further feedback welcome

Does it help any to do:

   PRAGMA synchronous=NORM;