On 28 Dec 2019, at 5:19pm, Barry Smith <smith.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is not identifier resolution (search in the current scope first then step
> out) part of the SQL standard?

The way the SELECT statements are nested in the question is itself non-standard
in any version of SQL I can cite in this message.

> Damn closed standards and their inability to check without paying through the
> nose.

For that reason, we quote the 180,000 word SQL-92 …

<https://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/sql/sql1992.txt>

… quite a lot, and the nine parts of SQL:2016 never.  (Hmm.  No, there's no
SQL:2019 yet.)

> Even if not, and this is in fact undocumented, I would be amazed if it
> changed, purely for the sheer amount of software it would break.

Oh, me too.  But I wouldn't intentionally write code that depended on it.  Nor
would I recommend that to anyone else.  Every time a developer says "We do
<illogical thing> for backward compatibility." I die a little.