> CREATE TABLE vocabulary(word TEXT PRIMARY KEY, count INT DEFAULT 1);
> INSERT INTO vocabulary(word) VALUES('jovial')
> ON CONFLICT(word) DO UPDATE SET count=count+1;
>
> Shouldn't that actually be written as "vocabulary.count+1"?

Nope. Unqualified names there refer to the one and only record that's getting
updated.

Similar to how in an blanket update statement you would do:
update vocabulary set count = count + 1;
...and not:
update vocabulary set vocabulary.count = vocabulary.count + 1;

I mean, it might still work, but it's not needed, no.