It results in a error - it stops parsing the statement at the alias 'a'. It
seems simple, but I
don't believe it is possible to do this in SQLite. I've tried a dozen common
syntax variants used
by other databases without success.

Here is the syntax of the SQLite UPDATE statement:

sql-statement ::= UPDATE [ OR conflict-algorithm ] [database-name .] table-name
SET assignment [, assignment]*
[WHERE expr]

assignment ::=  column-name = expr