> What language and/or wrapper library are you using to drive SQLite?
>
> Also, how large are the records in your database? You said earlier that
> they have 45 fields, but not what type of data was stored in any of
> them. Since you are doing string searches, I assume that at least one
> contains a string. Is it a large string?
>
> Actually it would be best if you could provide the actual schema of the
> table, including any indexes and triggers that are defined as well.

Dennis,
Thanks for your response.

Since my last email I've done some more testing and have narrowed the
problem down considerably. Your "What language" question is quite perceptive
and seems to be at the core of the problem. I'm using Delphi, but basically
talking direct to SQLite3.DLL. After further testing yesterday I accidently
discovered that the problem was ONLY happening when I ran my program from
the Delphi IDE. I've never noticed any slowdown like this before, but don't
call very many external DLL's from my programs. The code running in the IDE
(with slowdown) didn't have any breakpoints set, and the code that I run
outside of the IDE (without problem) is the same compile as the code that I
ran inside the IDE.

I discovered the nature of the problem accidently when I recompiled the
source for SQLite V3.3.1 under Visual Studio to try and see if I could find
the slowdown point. I'm *very* new to Visual Studio but managed to get the
debugger to break inside the DLL after having it being called from my App -
as long as my App was not being executed in the Delphi IDE - and in the
process discovered that the problem was no longer present!

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to check the SQLite performance of my App
outside the Delphi IDE.

Regards,
Carl.