----- Original Message ----- From: "Geoff Simonds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The app is running on Windows XP machines and I assume that disk files are cached. The strange thing is that the time it takes for the initial read into RAM after install and first use is significantly shorter than after a reboot. For example, if you just installed the app and start it, the first time you do a query you see results in about 2 seconds. Subsequent queries come back much almost instantaneously. If the user reboots the machine or waits until the next day and performs the same query, it now takes about 15 seconds. After the 15 seconds, results come back and subsequent queries are instantaneous. I am not sure if this has anything to do with it but the app is a Deskband that lives in the taskbar on windows.

That's not so strange, really. When the app is installed (along with the database), the Windows disk cache probably has at least part of the database file cached -- afterall it just got finished writing it.

Robert