----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Versioning in SQL database?

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:55:27AM -0500, Paul Tomblin wrote:
I am putting together something that will act like a Wiki for structured
data (in this case, airport and navigation aid data like id, location,
runways, etc).  I currently store the data in an SQL databasee, but only
the "current" version. I want to allow people to edit that data, but that
means being able to compare versions, roll back erroneous edits, get what
the database looked like before a particular editor came along, etc.  Is
there anything written on this topic?  Has anybody ever tried it before?

I would add a version column to the appropriate tables and create views
that pull the most recent version of everything. Or if performance
becomes an issue, keep a table with only the current versions, and a
seperate table with either all older versions or just all versions. An
added benefit of a version field is it's a trivial way to detect
potential conflicts; if you have the edit code pass back the version it
was editing, you can verify that that version is what's still in the
database.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [EMAIL PROTECTED]