On Wednesday 22 February 2006 15:59, Adrian Ho wrote:

> > Do you come to similar results?
>
> Nope, mine were a lot more consistent (Centrino 1.6GHz laptop, 512MB RAM):
>
> t(1)=254 microseconds per iteration
> t(5)=186.6 microseconds per iteration
> t(10)=156.1 microseconds per iteration
> t(50)=147.24 microseconds per iteration
> t(100)=144.88 microseconds per iteration
> t(500)=153.658 microseconds per iteration
> t(1000)=142.218 microseconds per iteration
> t(5000)=142.7774 microseconds per iteration
> t(10000)=143.1704 microseconds per iteration

As were Richards. Looks like an issue of my machine/installation,
but I'm perfectly clueless.

> > I have to oppose your statement, Tcl has garbage collection.
> > It doesn't, at least in the sense, that it calls a routine to
> > collect unused space and free it at arbitrary times, i.e. during
> > idle times.
>
> Ah, that's where our perspectives differ.  The definition of "garbage
> collection" which I'm operating from (which I believe is the classical
> CS one) makes no reference whatsoever to time, other than the implicit
> "at some point after it's been identified as garbage".

OK, almost no difference except for the definition.

> While that's true, I'd point out that unset'ing a large list/array,
> or otherwise destroying a heavily-referenced Tcl_Obj, can cause a huge
> cascade of derefs/deletes, so it's not necessarily the case that Tcl's
> GC times are always predictably similar even across iterations of the
> same script.

Right, but my test script is way too simple for such effects.

> I'm keeping an open mind on this one, since I have no hard data to back
> up any conclusion whatsoever.  And since you've subsequently indicated
> that it's now a non-issue (esp. in comparison to MySQL), I guess I'll
> shut up now.  8-)

Thanks for your support. If you have an idea on this later on,
please let me know. I'm staying tuned.

Kind regards

Ulrich