On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Sripathi Raj wrote:

[...]
Is the IF NOT EXISTS constraint supported? When I try to use it, I get an
error message saying that there is a syntax error at 'NOT'? I'm using Sqlite
3 on Windows and I'm trying to connect to it from Perl.
[...]

Hello,

the information that you are using version 3 is not precise enough to answer this question with yes or no ;)

I know the IF [NOT] EXISTS syntax is *not* supported in SQLite 3.1.3 but it *is* supported in SQLite 3.3.4. A quick glance at the changelog says the syntax was introduced with 3.3.0 alpha.

However I recently ran into the pitfall, that with SQLite 3.3.4 the compilation of an IF [NOT] EXISTS qualified statement may result in a NULL statement handle being returned in case the IF [NOT] EXISTS clause does not apply. If this is a problem for you, you should use the current CVS version of SQLite3 which has that behaviour fixed.

cu,
Thomas