Kevin, I'm sure the SQLite mailing list would very much
like to hear how long it takes to insert 400 million rows
with (and without) an index using a
PRAGMA cache_size=30000000 on a 48G RAM machine.
And how big the final database turns out to be.

You might also want to play with a larger page_size
setting, such as PRAGMA page_size=4096;
or PRAGMA page_size=8192;

I find that if you match the SQLite page_size the the
OS' page size, you generally get better performance.