For simple databases (say 10's of MB), I assume the safest way of backing up
the database is to copy the file. For a modern desktop/server, this should take
less than 20 seconds or so.

While the database won't be under heavy utilisation, I would like to ensure
that the database file is not corrupted during the copy, therefore I plan to do
the following:

1. Connect to database and issue a BEGIN IMMEDIATE
2. Copy the database file to a new location
3. Issue a rollback and disconnect from the database.

Is this sufficient to ensure a smooth database backup?

Thanks
Nick