On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Phuah Yee Keat wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am currently running some tests to decide whether to use sqlite, and
>bump into some strange behavior. I compiled sqlite 3.3.4 from source and
>installed it on a solaris 8 on sparc without any updates. I run the same
>scripts (which insert 1000 entries without BEGIN/END block), on the same
>machine, but in different directories, getting totally different results:
>
>###
># In the "db1" directory:
>###
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/db1$ time cat /export/home/ykphuah/test.sql  | sqlite3
>test.db

Note, you are not testing the SQLite time here, but the time taken to run
"cat /export/home/ykphuah/test.sql". What you actually need is:
$ cat /export/home/ykphuah/test.sql  | time sqlite3 test.db

As to what is causing the slowdown, check your system log. You may have
hardware problems. Whatever the problem, it is almost certainly a
non-SQLite problem.

>I am really puzzled as to why there's so much difference in the time to
>execute the same script on the same box just in different directories,
>thinking that it might be placement of the directories in the physical
>disc itself causing the fsync calls to differ so much?
>
>Is there any way where I can provide more information to help you guys
>help me?

System utilities. Check prstat (top like util), dmesg (for kernel
messages), vmstat (IO stats) and truss (syscall trace).

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Cheers,
>Phuah Yee Keat

Christian