Thom Ericson wrote:

   Marian Olteanu wrote:

You should embed the inserts into a transaction. Otherwise every insert is a
   separate ACID transaction = 2 disk spins.
I thought putting 128 of the inserts between "BEGIN;" and "COMMIT;" did that. Am I confused?

Thom,

You are correct about putting 128 inserts between the begin and commit. You may get even higher performance if you use a larger batch size of 500 or 1000 inserts. This amortizes the journal file creation, data copies, and deletion over more inserts. Right now you are doing about 4 transactions per second. With a batch size of 1000 you might get 1 transaction per second, but 1000 inserts per second. Its easy to do, so its probably worth a try.

HTH
Dennis Cote