Paul Bohme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a small patch that adds "BEGIN SHARED" syntax in addition to
> IMMEDIATE and EXCLUSIVE.  I have an application that requires a
> consistent view of the data across a number of individual statements.

This is what plain old "BEGIN" does.

OK, really BEGIN does not acquire the lock until you actually
try to use the database in some way.  So another process might
modify the database in between the time when you issue the BEGIN
and the time you actually start using the database.  But since
you do not know what the state of the database is when you
issue the BEGIN, why should you care?  The change might occur
before or after the BEGIN but since you have know way of knowing
which, why should it matter?
--
D. Richard Hipp   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>