> I'm really curious to know how PostgreSQL and MySQL avoid this
> thrashing problem.  Does anybody have any insight on this?

MySQL (in the InnoDB engine) reduces thrashing through clustering of data in
(roughly) primary key order.  This helps if you obtain data with similar
primary keys.  It doesn't help if you prefer to access data in inserted
order (where the primary key is all over the shop).

Also, typically, you throw boatloads of RAM at MySQL servers if you have any
decent sized databases which is dedicated to caching query results and
database pages.

We have around 250 million rows across about 250 tables comprising around
80GB of databases running on MySQL with InnoDB with an 8 disk 15K RPM RAID
10 array - MySQL gets 3GB of dedicated RAM for its own use, and also run
with O_DIRECT so the operating system doesn't cache the disk sectors in its
own buffers - thus avoiding "dual caching" of MySQL data files.

Best regards,
Richard Dale.
Norgate Investor Services
- Premium quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for
  markets in Australia, Asia, Canada, Europe, UK & USA -
www.premiumdata.net