This is an interesting development for embedded system developers who use Sqlite.

http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=183700818
http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185302940

Quote -

The week before ESC Silicon Valley, the number of you who clicked on
Part 1 in "B#: A programming language for small footprint embedded
systems applications" made it the most-read story on any of CMP
Media's on-line properties in quite a while. In response, we are now
running Part 2 on the underlying Virtual Machine in the Technical
Insights section. Check it out.
The overwhelming popularity of that first story on the features and
capabilities of B# (pronounced B-sharp) suggests that as deeply
embedded deterministic and real-time control applications become more
connected, there is a critical need for a language and a Virtual
Machine architecture that has capabilities similar to B# as well as
being object-oriented and extremely small.
Sun, IBM and many in the Java developer community have been focused on
the explosion of opportunities in mobile designs where soft real time
is the norm and where applications are neither deterministic nor small
in size. They seem to be blind to the explosion of opportunities in
the smaller footprint and hard real-time applications in many embedded
control applications, especially as the move toward ubiquitously
connected (wired and wireless) devices and sensors takes hold.
The number of devices that will need this sort of capability will
quickly dwarf the volumes we now see for mobile devices. The response
you have had to the B# series on Embedded.com tells me that if the
Java community does not quickly respond to the need, developers will
move on to somebody who will.
What do you think? (Bernard Cole, Site Editor, Embedded.com,