I was afraid of that...it would be cool if someone created a sqlite server which handled the networking and serialization...I would take a crack at it myself but
right now I don't have time.

Dan Kennedy wrote:

I had a musing while reading:

   http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6063599.html?part=rss&tag=6063599&subj=news

where it reminded me of one of MySQL's features:

   MySQL's database is built so that it can use a range of different
   storage mechanisms, tuned for different purposes, such as
   transactions or indexing large amounts of text.

   "Rather than have one perfect engine, it's better to have a
   pluggable architecture," Urlocker said. "The idea is you can mix and
   match within a single application because data will be used in
   different ways."

Perhaps adding the appropriate bindings to MySQL to register sqlite as a storage mechanism would allow the use of Sqlite in a network environment with out bloating the core Sqlite code?

Maybe the above makes no sense, but I find the notion appealing that Sqlite could remain as tight little sql engine but could use the "network server"
of MySQL should ever such a thing be needed.

Would that be possible?

It's possible. But the mysql interface is looking for something more
like the sqlite btree layer - you would be effectively bypassing the sqlite schema layer entirely and just using sqlite as a simple key-value database (like berkeley db). I think it would be extremely tricky to make the sqlite schema visible to the mysql client.