Thursday, May 11, 2006, 09:36:17, Preston & Chrystie wrote:

> if your first statement after creating the database is:
> PRAGMA encoding = "UTF-16";

> then the error you get is slightly different:
sqlite>> ALTER TABLE test1 ADD straße VARCHAR(255);
> SQL error: malformed database schema - near "(": syntax error

> I was hoping that would fix it for you.. guess not, but at least you
> know of the potential error sooner rather than later...tried the
> column name in quotes too.. didn't help.

> --preston

> On 5/10/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Not sure- I've tried this through JDBC and the command line
>> client, I'm not a developer at that level :(
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andreas

Why not using simply 'Strasse'. I'm german too. IMO, the most
hassle-free way doing these things lies in avoiding encoding issues, if
you can do so. A database is often a 'hidden layer', a good interface
should be able to transform potentially visible parts into something
more perfect (like 'Straße' for an UI).

Micha