I have a couple of questions on :memory: databases:

1) What happens when a table grows in size more than
the available RAM?  Does sqlite revert to file based
mechanism to handle it or would it throw an error?

2) From some of the other posters who have done more
testing than I, it seems that there is not much
difference in performance between :memory: and regular
file based databases.  Is that so?  in what
circumstances would the memory database perform
better?