Hi,

Seen the popularity of sqlite, i think 1200 subscribers is very reasonable. Lots of people track mailing lists, only contributing rarely but nevertheless are interested.

You could consider a system that requires moderation by the list administrator for each first message a newly subscribed user posts. This is a small inconvenience for new members (may take some hours or a day before his/hers message appears on the list) but is effective against list spam. Several mailing list systems include such feature, and it appears a reasonable trade-off.

regards,

Rene

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
dilettantes remain rude.Where we can almost borrow money from our earring.Hugo, the friend of Hugo and earns frequent flier miles with power drill near.

In order to be able to send messages to this mailing list,
the spammer above had to subscribe.  To subscribe means that
he had to respond to an email that was sent to the subscription
address.  Since his email address does not exist, I'm wondering
how he managed to pull this off.  Any ideas?

I have unsubscribed every account from "paypal.com" and "ebay.com".
All such accounts were of the form "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" or
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]", etc.  There were 7 such accounts.

After purging the accounts above, we are still left with 1217
active subscribers.  This seems like a lot to me.  I'm wondering
if some fraction of these might be inactive accounts, or accounts
belonging to people who have spam filters turned on to delete
incoming email from sqlite.org.  Does anybody have any ideas on
how we might remove people from the mailing list that do not
actually read messages from the mailing list?  When email bounces,
the user is removed automatically.  But email addresses that silently
absorb messages and never deliver them to a real human can linger
on the mailing list indefinitely.
I wonder if I need to implement some kind of mechanism that requires
you to either send a message to the mailing list or else renew your
subscription every 3 months.  Does anybody have any experience with
other mailing lists that require such measures?

--
D. Richard Hipp   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>