I think I know the answer to this but I figured it would be better to ask
than to do a major design flaws. :)

What is the most efficient way in SQLite (using the C/C++ interface layer)
to retrieve the result of a query without using the callback function
(setting it to NULL) ?

use the prepare() and bind() functions. It will write the results directly
to your variables. This is much than trying to get callbacks to work with
class methods, escaping sql etc. You can see an example in the source
for the sqlite importer at the site mentioned in my tagline.

--
SqliteImporter, SqliteReplicator: Command line utilities for Sqlite
http://www.reddawn.net/~jsprenkl/Sqlite