"Jay Sprenkle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Mikey C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Please implement table and row level locking. :-)
> >

> > If you think you know a way to implement row-level
> > locking that does not impose one of the above
> > limitations, then please tell me and I will look
> > into the matter.
>
> Out of curiosity why won't flock() work?

Process A wants to modify the database, so it flock()s
the rows it needs to changes and starts changing them.
But half way in the middle of the change, somebody sends
process A a SIGKILL and it dies.  The OS automatically
releases the flocks as process A dies, leaving the
database half-way updated and in an inconsistent state,
with no locks.

Process B comes along and opens the database, see the
inconsistent state, and reports database corruption.

--
D. Richard Hipp   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>