In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jay Sprenkle wrote:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm creating a database which will look a little like:
> > create table main (f1 TEXT, f2 TEXT, f3 TEXT, t1 TEXT, t2 TEXT, tn TEXT);
> >
> > f1, f2 and f3 will always be present. Any or all of the ts might be NULL.
> >
> > I'd like to prevent entries where all of the fields are the same being
> > created. How can I do this. I've tried experimenting with UNIQUE KEYs but
> > haven't been successful - perhaps because of the NULLs?
>
> You might try adding NOT NULL to your column constraints and
> a default to an empty string in the create table.
> I thought UNIQUE implied NOT NULL but I might be
> wrong.

Thanks a lot - I think I've got it working now:

  create table main (f1 TEXT not null default '~', f2 TEXT not null default
  '~', f3 TEXT not null default '~', t1 TEXT not null default '~', t2 TEXT
  not null default '~', tn TEXT not null default '~');

...gives me an error when I try to insert two similar rows :-) Now I'll just
have to work out how to sensibly deal with the error in my C app.

Cheers,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson