Robert L Cochran a écrit :
> However, on Fedora Core 5, my path is set so that objects on
> /usr/local/bin are found before those on /usr/bin. I'm not sure how this
> is happening; perhaps /etc/profile? The result seems to be that even if
> sqlite 3.3.3 was installed by yum, executing /usr/bin/sqlite3 will yeild
> a command line stating its version is 3.2.7  which is one of the
> versions I believe I installed to /usr/local myself.
Yes FC5 uses the following default path:
/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
which means your binaries in /usr/local/bin will be accessed before
those in /usr/bin.

> How do I fix my sqlite version mess so that I can have multiple
> installed versions: the one used by yum (and possibly other modules) and
> the latest and greatest release, which I want to link into PHP for my
> own purposes. (Yes I compile PHP on my own.)
With an up to date yum install, FC5 default SQlite is 3.3.3
You can clean up thethings in the following way.

Instaed of using /usr/local for prefix when configuring a sqlite build
you could pass:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/sqlite-3.3.6 (for 3.3.6 version)
This will install each of your multiple sqlite versions (except de
default used by yum) in its own envronment.

To build an application with a particular sqlite build, you'll have to
add, ie for PHP 5.1.4:

--with-sqlite=/usr/local/sqlite-3.3.6
--with-pdo-sqlite=/usr/local/sqlite-3.3.6

As PHP configuration system uses the --rpath which tells the binaries
the full path of used libraries, this will work.
For applications where you're not sure --rpath is used, you can add it
to configure options.