On 6/27/06, Bud Beacham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am using SQLite to add a database engine to a product I hope
to sell.  One thing that is desirable is to allow the customers
to enhance the database for their specific needs.  For example,
they could add new tables to reflect their environment, and then
design queries that look at both the standard and added tables.

I've tried this myself. I've found unless
your customers are technically savvy they won't use it.
Your program is a tool. They want to push button X and get result Y.
They don't care how it works and don't want to know.

If they are technically savvy be prepared for service calls
when they change or remove something your code relies on.

The perfect example was when I let the users choose the
colors of their screen and text. I get a call and the
user says "I set the letters to black and the screen to black, how do
I fix it?"  ;)
The next version was changed to use color palettes and not
let the user pick individual colors. They liked it better and I
didn't get calls.

Give them a screen with fields from the database. Let them enter
their search string into the field they want to search on and generate the
queries yourself.