My brain does not seem to be able to function properly today. I can think
of many ways to do what I want to do but none of them I like.

I will describe the problem in the most symplistic form.

I have two tables.  The first table, has a row which includes an 'id'
pointing to a row of another table.

create table config (profile_id integer, other_configs int );

The second table is defined as follows:

create table profile (id integer primary key autoincrement, name
varchar(32) unique, magic_number int);

Every entry in 'profile' should be unique. I would like to be able to
update (or insert if it does not exist) profile with a new 'magic_number'
while keeping the same 'id' or updating the new 'id' in 'config' table.

What is the simplest way (and most efficient) to achieve this ?

Regards,
Mario Hebert
Legerity