Yet my observations indicate that the database hadn't written anything to disk
in two days (or if it had, it somehow decided to roll back the last two days'
worth after the crash).  Any insight on that?

It really sounds like you've never called COMMIT. I've never heard of
SQLite not writing data to disk as soon as you call COMMIT.

Since I happen to know this is being done with REALbasic, are you
calling COMMIT yourself, explicitly, or are you calling the Commit
method? I suppose there could be a bug in the REALbasic plugin that is
somehow preventing a commit from happening properly even if you call
Commit (though I am not aware of such a bug).