"John Salerno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just as a follow-up, I noticed that one of my columns *did* expand to
> fit a longer name, yet another column didn't. Could it be because the
> one that expanded contained a string of a single word, while the
> column that didn't expand contained multiple words, i.e. 'Programmer
> II'?
>
> Thanks.
>

> On 8/29/06, John Salerno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Is it possible to change the width of columns in column mode in some
> > general way? What I mean is, I know I can do .width X X X etc., but
> > that requires knowing how many columns you have. Is there some way to
> > set it so that the column will simply expand to fit the information?

Please do not confuse "SQLite" and the command-line shell.
The command-line shell is a small (and stupid) program that
uses SQLite to access an SQLite database.  The complete
source code to the command-line shell is in the file "shell.c".

The command-line shell is rather limited in what it can do
in terms of output formatting.  If you need something more
elaborate (which you apparently do) then I would suggest
writing a short script in your favorite dynamic language
to open the database, extract the information you want, then
present it in whatever format seems appropriate.  A full-featured
language is a much better tool for doing that sort of thing
than a simple command-line shell.
--
D. Richard Hipp   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>