I don't know about sqlitebrowser. For the sqlite command line tool to
display Umlauts properly, you need to tell your terminal that the data
are UTF-8 encoded. On Unix-like systems it should be sufficient to
start xterm with the "-en UTF-8" option. Other terminal emulators like
rxvt may have similar options. See the man pages for further
information.

regards,
Markus

--