>How exactly are you accessing the database over the network?

By that you mean ?

Two machines with Windows XP on a LAN.
Using file sharing a place my app.exe on one machine and
instructs it to use the file (database) on the other machine,
sqlite3_open("\\LW75\SHARE\data.sq3", &db)

I start my app, do a few selects and updates (my app does
them when it starts) and then disconnect the network cable.