On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 04:41:55 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>User (Client App) connects to middle-tier application-server and then user
>may access any one company in normal or exclusive mode. Only
>application-server communicates with database. If user wants exclusive
>access, Application-Server needs to maintain that exclusive access to
>database for that user.

Hello

I don't understand, how you get a real advantage, if you lock a
Database (in daily processing) exclusive... I think, that isn't really
necessary. But, if you want it nonetheless, then write and read a
Lock-State-Table.

I do it this way in my App. Every User do a Login in a specially Table
and also a Lockout, if endet his work. If an exclusive Mode wanted by
User, then write a adequate  Info to the Lockstate-Table. Then check,
that not another User has earlier rights. If this successful, the User
can work in exlusive mode, is not, kick him out ;-)

The real advantage by this way is, an Administrator is never blocked
by a silly User, who has forgotten to logout and is gone to weekend at
wednesday.

My opinion is, never do a hard lock to a Database, except, it is done
by the Database himself.

Best Regards
Thomas

www.thlu.de