A. Pagaltzis wrote:
* Griggs, Donald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-09-25 22:10]:

2) If instead, I'm unaware of another popular use of the term
"flat file" -- then I'd be glad to learn this.

I think there's another explanation for how this term came about.
Dr. Hipp has asserted many timed that SQLite should be thought of
as a replacement not for Oracle, but for `fopen()`. That casts
the term "flatfile database" as a somewhat misleading way to say
that SQLite is a database that you can use just like you would a
flatfile.

Regards,

The term "flat file" came to be used many years ago to distinguish between a file of sequential records (a list) and a file organized for indexed access, like an ISAM file (a tree). The CODASYL DBMS structure with its linked records was also regarded as not "flat".

Sqlite is definitely not a "flat file".