On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:06:44 -0400, you wrote:

Hello

>I've noticed that more than one contributor to this list has referred to
>sqlite as a "flat file database."  I had always thought of a flat file as a
>file composed of single table of records, with records defined either by
>fixed-width allocations or by some sort of delimiter (e.g., comma-separated
>files).

What's about a flatfile? Is a SQLite-File
really more than a Flatfile? Is a DBase-III-DB
more than a Flatfile? What's about a car? Is a
Ferrari really more than a car? Maybe some
people think so. I think, a Ferrari is only a
car too. And every File created by me with any
Application and lying on the Disk on my PC is a
singlefile, or a flatfile.
Maybe some people can see the differences
between a flatfile and a single-file. I cannot.

Maybe a structured Textfile is a flatfile, if
possibly readable as a tableview. But it is so
only in humans view and humans understanding.
A SQLite-File is equally structured, but only in
SQlite's view and understanding.

I distinguish this by way to access. A flatfile
is accessible directly to me, a Client-Server-based
DB only indirect. Only via a provider-connect to
a server-instance, who handle my access to the DB,
completely processed by another machine.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it is even philosophical
problem. I have no problem, is a SQLite-File a
Flatfile or not ;-)

Best Regards
Thomas

www.thlu.de