Rich Shepard wrote:

  I tried to find documentation on the .import command (and the other
metacommands), but couldn't. Nothing about them in Mike Owens' book, the man page, or a Google search. This must be one of the pieces of knowlege that's
passed from generation to generation only when someone asks.

Rich,

This knowledge is often passed by word of mouth (or word of mailing list if you prefer). I learned about this by looking at the source some time ago to answer someone else's question about the import command. I doubt that the documentation for the import command, if it existed, would mention this sort of detail anyway.

When all else fails, the source is the ultimate documentation. :-)

Dennis Cote