Rich Shepard wrote:
On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Eric Matthew Finnin wrote:

Could someone tell me the syntax for the .import command? I can't seem to
get my null values to be recognized.

.nullvalue STRING      Print STRING in place of NULL values

  If you type '.h' you'll see the syntax of all the commands.

Rich

Rich and Eric,

The .nullvalue command won't work. It only affects the way the sqlite shell handles null values on output. In fact there is no direct way to insert NULL values into a table using the .import command. It reads all its input as strings, and the closest you can get is a empty string (by placing two separators back to back) which isn't the same as a null values. It doesn't use the .nullvalue string on input.

If you know that the string 'NULL' does not appear in your valid data, you can use a series of update statements to replace that string with real null values. You could, of course, use any other string as a sentinel value to hold the place of your NULLs.

   .import test1.csv test1
   update test1 set col2 = NULL where col2 = 'NULL';
   update test1 set col3 = NULL where col3 = 'NULL';

Or you could modify the source of the .import command so that it does recognize the .nullvalue string on input, and binds a null value for that column. If you do you should submit a patch, others may find this useful.

HTH
Dennis Cote