I've checked a new version of the full-text search module into
ext/fts2 under CVS.  fts2 uses a very different style of storage from
fts1, and is much much faster for insertions (25x faster inserting the
Enron email database, for instance).  The interface is identical, you
just refer to fts2 instead of fts1.

Caveats: It uses a new storage format, and there is currently no
support for "upgrading" a table from fts1 to fts2.  Additionally, I
have a number of follow-on changes which will be going in over the
next couple weeks, some of which are likely to break data
compatibility.  I'm just tossing this out here in case people are
interested in experimenting with it.

Thanks,
scott