Jay Sprenkle wrote:

I didn't read the entire content of the documentation. I looked only
at the appropriate sections for the question I had. I see nothing in
the following section, or the section that lead me to it, that
indicates what versions it applies to:

[snip]

Simply substitute the less_goofy_sqlite3_step() call above for the
normal sqlite3_step() everywhere in your code, and you will always get
back the specific error code rather than a generic SQLITE_ERROR error
code. "

I didn't think my request unreasonable or a lot of extra effort.

Jay,

As far as I know, the function less_goofy_sqlite3_step() does not exist in any version of sqlite. The docs are simply telling you how to write your own function to provide a more sane interface.

I think this issue is so common that this function should be included in the standard distribution, along with the existing function. Then the docs should be revised to let users know the old function is not recommended for new designs, and to point them to the new function instead.

The new extended error codes only provide additional information for I/O errors. I believe they were introduced in version 3.3.8. For backwards compatability they are off by default. You need to call the new API function sqlite3_extended_result_codes to turn them on.

I agree that it would probably be worth adding a simply note to the documentation for each API function which states the first version of sqlite that made the function available.

Dennis Cote